University of Cambridge

Undergraduate

Study

Financial support

There are various sources of financial support available to help towards your costs at Cambridge. These fall into two broad categories: government financial support and Cambridge financial support.

Some support is available to all UK/EU students,* while eligibility for other funding may depend on your financial circumstances. Arrangements can also vary depending on where you’re from (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or the EU), so please refer to the appropriate student finance award agency for full details.

Levels of support have not yet been set for the academic year 2015-16. The information below outlines the financial support available to first time undergraduates at Cambridge, based on figures for 2014-15.  The information will be updated as soon as figures for 2015-16 are available.

Please note
You’re strongly advised to apply for financial support as early as possible. In the case of government financial support, you don’t need a confirmed place at a university to apply.

* For information about costs and support for overseas and Islands students, see the international students pages.

Students from England
Support What's it for? Eligibility? How much? Pay it back? Notes
Government Tuition Fee Loan Tuition fees Students studying for their first undergraduate degree Up to £9,000 per year Yes, but only after you've left University and are earning more than £21,000 per year
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £21,000 per year.
Government Maintenance Loan Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £5,555 per year Yes, but only after you've left the University and are earning more than £21,000 per year
  • Basic rate (65% of max. rate, £3,610) not dependent on household income, remaining 35% (up to £1,945) is dependent on household income
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £21,000 per year
Government Maintenance Grant (or Special Support Grant) Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,387 per year No, unless you leave your course early
  • Full grant available to those with a household income of £25,000 per year or less.
  • Partial grant available to those with a household income between £25,001 and £42,620 per year
  • Amount of Maintenance Loan that can be borrowed will be reduced by £0.50 for every £1 of Maintenance Grant
  • Special Support Grant replaces Maintenance Grant for students who can claim certain income-related benefits
Cambridge Bursary Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,500
per year
(up to £5,600 for some mature students)
No  
Cambridge College awards and grants Prizes for academic or other achievements and/or loans to help with specific costs or unexpected financial difficulties College and award dependent  
For full details of government support, see the GOV.UK website at: www.gov.uk/studentfinance/

National Scholarship Programme - 2014 Entry Only

Students who begin their studies in 2014 may be eligible for a National Scholarship award. The National Scholarship Programme is an initiative aimed at low-income students and funded by both the Government and the University.

The National Scholarship Programme will cease after 2014 and is therefore not available to those starting their studies in 2015 or later.

Students from Northern Ireland
Support What's it for? Eligibility? How much? Pay it back? Notes
Tuition Fee Loan Tuition fees Students studying for their first undergraduate degree Up to £9,000 per year Yes, but only once you’ve left the University and are earning more than £16,910 per year
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £16,910 per year
Maintenance Loan Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £4,840 per year (up to £4,480 in final year) Yes, but only once you’ve  left the University and are earning more than £16,910 per year
  • Basic rate (75% of max rate £3,630) not dependent on household income, remaining 25% (up to £1,210) is dependent on household income
  • If receive Maintenance Grant, amount of Maintenance Loan will be reduced
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £16,910 per year
Maintenance Grant (or Special Support Grant) Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £3,475 per year No, unless you leave your course early
  • Full grant available to those with a household income of £19,203 per year or less
  • Partial grant available to those with a household income between £19,204 and £41,065 per year
  • Amount of Maintenance Grant receive will affect amount of Maintenance Loan can borrow
  • Special Support Grant replaces Maintenance Grant in certain circumstances
Cambridge Bursary Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,500
per year
(up to £5,600 for some mature students)
No  
Cambridge College awards and grants Prizes for academic or other achievements and/or loans to help with specific costs or unexpected financial difficulties College and award dependent  
For full details of government support, see the Student Finance NI website at: www.studentfinanceni.co.uk
Students from Scotland

Please note that the details for the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Young Students' Bursary for students from Scotland refer to 2013-14 – figures for 2014-15 have not yet been made available.

Support What's it for? Eligibility? How much? Pay it back? Notes
Tuition Fee Loan Tuition fees Students studying for their first undergraduate degree Up to £9,000 per year Yes, but only once you’ve  left the University and are earning more than £16,365 per year
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £16,365 per year
Maintenance Loan Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £5,500 per year Yes, but only once you’ve left the University and are earning more than £16,365 per year
  • Up to £5,500 available to those with a household income of £33,999 per year or less
  • Up to £4,500 available regardless of household income
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £16,365 per year
Young Students' Bursary (replacing Students' Outside Scotland Bursary) Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £1,750 per year No
  • Full bursary available to those with a household income of £16,999 per year or less
  • Partial bursary available to those with a household income between £17,000 and £33,999 per year
Cambridge Bursary Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,500
per year
(up to £5,600 for some mature students)
No  
Cambridge College awards and grants Prizes for academic or other achievements and/or loans to help with specific costs or unexpected financial difficulties College and award dependent  
For full details of government support, see the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) website at: www.saas.gov.uk
Students from Wales
Support What's it for? Eligibility? How much? Pay it back? Notes
Tuition Fee Loan Tuition fees Students studying for their first undergraduate degree Up to £3,685 per year Yes, but only once you’ve  left the University and are earning more than £21,000 per year
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £21,000 per year
Tuition Fee Grant Tuition fees Students studying for their first undergraduate degree Up to £5,315 per year No, unless you leave your course early
  • To cover the difference between the max. Tuition Fee Loan and the actual fee charged
Maintenance Loan Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £5,202 per year Yes, but only once you’ve left the University and are earning more than £21,000 per year
  • Basic rate (75% of max. rate, £3,902) not dependent on household income remaining 25% (up to £1,300) is dependent on household income
  • If you take out a Maintenance Loan in 2014-15, you could have up to £1,500 cancelled from your loan by the Welsh Government when you start repaying
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £21,000 per year
Welsh Government Learning Grant (or Special Support Grant) Living costs Dependent on household income Up to £5,161 per year

No, unless you leave your course early

  • Full grant available to those with a household income of £18,370 per year or less
  • Partial grant available to those with a household income between £18,371 and £50,020 per year
  • Amount of Maintenance Loan that can be borrowed will be reduced by £0.50 for every £1 of Learning Grant received up to max. £2,575
  • Special Support Grant replaces Learning Grant if claim certain income-related benefits
Cambridge Bursary Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,500
per year
(up to £5,600 for some mature students)
No  
Cambridge College awards and grants Prizes for academic or other achievements and/or loans to help with specific costs or unexpected financial difficulties College and award dependent  
For full details of government support, see the Student Finance Wales website at: www.studentfinancewales.co.uk
Students from the EU (outside the UK)
Support What's it for? Eligibility? How much? Pay it back? Notes
Tuition Fee Loan Tuition fees Some new students Up to £9,000 per year Yes, but only once you’ve left the University and are earning more than £21,000 per year
  • Repay 9% of earnings above £21,000 per year
Cambridge European Bursary Living costs Students with a household income of £42,620 per year or less Up to £3,500
per year
(up to £5,600 for some mature students)
No  
Cambridge College awards and grants Prizes for academic or other achievements and/or loans to help with specific costs or unexpected financial difficulties College and award dependent  
For full details of government support, contact the Student Finance Services Non UK Team (T +44 (0) 141 243 3570

National Scholarship Programme - 2014 Entry Only

Students who begin their studies in 2014 may be eligible for a National Scholarship award. The National Scholarship Programme is an initiative aimed at low-income students and funded by both the Government and the University.

The National Scholarship Programme will cease after 2014 and is therefore not available to those starting their studies in 2015 or later.



Part-time work

The University takes the view that our students should not work during term-time – it's important that you have an appropriate work-life balance, and we offer a wide range of financial support to ensure you don't have to. However, there may be a few opportunities available within the University and Colleges that are an exception to this, such as working in the College bar, College library or as a student helper during open days.